03 Jul 8 Fun Facts You May Not Know About Independence Day
“It’s Fourth of July weekend, or, as I call it, Exploding Christmas.” — Stephen Colbert
What better way to celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence than with barbecue, fireworks and s’mores? We hope these 8 fun facts about Independence Day will get you in the celebratory spirit.
1. Several countries have used the Declaration of Independence as a beacon and model in their own struggles for freedom. These countries include France, Greece, Poland, Russia, and many countries in South America.
2. The stars on the original American flag were depicted in a circle, so all the Colonies would appear equal.
3. Thomas Jefferson drafted the Declaration of Independence on a “laptop,” which was a writing desk that could fit on one’s lap.
4. Beer may be the go-to Independence Day beverage today, but if you really want to salute our Founding Fathers, you’ll make a rum-based cocktail. That’s because on July 4, 1778, George Washington ordered a double ration of rum for his soldiers to celebrate the holiday.
5. During the summer of 1776, some colonists celebrated the birth of independence by holding mock funerals for King George III. These morbid “celebrations” symbolized the end of the monarchy’s hold on America and the triumph of liberty.
6. According to the American Pyrotechnics Association, around 15,000 fireworks displays will take place for the Fourth of July holiday (even if some aren’t exactly on July 4). Though pricing varies, most small towns spend anywhere from $8000-$15,000 for a fireworks display, with larger cities going into the millions, like the Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular at around $2.5 million.
7. Due to concerns about cracking the iconic instrument, the Liberty Bell has not been rung since 1846. Instead, every year, to mark the Fourth of July, the 2,000-pound bell is tapped 13 times to signal for bells across the country to start ringing.
8. An estimated 150 million hot dogs will be consumed on July 4th!
Info gathered with a little help from List 25, Cleveland.com, Business Insider, History.com, Mental Floss, and World Lifestyle.
BASYS Processing as a business partner
If your processor isn’t delivering strategies to help grow your program and personal service to your customers, please call BASYS Processing at (800) 386-0711. Let’s talk about creating a business partnership that will help you meet and exceed your goals.
BASYS Processing features:
• A friendly, live voice will answer the phone when you or your customers call; no automated phone systems.
• In-house PCI Compliance team to walk your customers through the process step-by-step, improving security and reducing costs.
• Thorough Market Analysis followed by mutual plans and goals to grow your portfolio.
• In-depth initial training and ongoing bootcamp training for bank staff.
• A full suite of turnkey marketing assets that can be customized with your bank branding.
About BASYS Processing
BASYS Processing provides credit card and debit card processing services, plus solutions that include terminals, virtual terminals, e-commerce, mobile, and point-of-sale, customized to fit any need. Banks, associations, and software partners depend on us to strengthen their reputations and relationships with their customers by providing remarkable service paired with ultimate flexibility and pricing. Merchants depend on us to make accepting credit cards and debit cards convenient, safe and affordable. BASYS was founded in 2002 on one philosophy: to take care of our merchants, partners, and employees so they never want to leave. We are dedicated to working one-on-one with our customers to design the perfect solution. BASYS is Personal Payment Processing.
Learn more at basyspro.com, and connect with us online at: