21 Aug 10 Facts to Make You a Total Solar Eclipse Expert Today
From where the Moon shadow will engulf to how fast the Moon shadow to moves, here’s everything you need to know to be a Total Solar Eclipse expert today!
1. On August 21, 2017 the Moon’s shadow will take 90 minutes to cross the USA, touching 14 US States.
3. It’s the first Total Solar Eclipse in the continental US for 38 years , since February 26, 1979.
4. So intense is the Sun’s light that the difference between a 100% and 99.9% partial eclipse is huge; only during a 100% eclipse is the solar corona visible.
5. People all over continental USA – as well as in Mexico, Canada and in the Caribbean – will be able to view a partial solar eclipse. New York City and Los Angeles will see a 71% and 68% eclipsed Sun, respectively, while Denver and Seattle will both get a 92% ‘deep partial’ eclipse.
6. When it hits land at Oregon the Moon’s umbral shadow will be travelling at 2,955mph, slowing to 1,462mph in western Kentucky, which therefore has a longer period of Totality.
7. The Moon-shadow splits Kansas City and St Louis, Missouri in two; eclipse-chasers will need to move north from Kansas City and south from St Louis to see Totality.
8. GreatAmericanEclipse.com estimates that South Carolina will be the busiest place on August 21, with 2 million people expected to travel down Interstate 95, which stretches from New England to Florida. The tiny village of Santee is where I-95 hits the centerline.
9. Observers at Blue Sky Vineyard near Makanda, Illinois, will get the longest Totality at 2 minutes, 41.6 seconds. The same area gets another eclipse on April 8, 2024.
10. The biggest city crossed by the Path of Totality is Nashville, Tennessee, population 1.8 million.
Original published June 16, 2017 by http://whenisthenexteclipse.com.
About BASYS Processing
BASYS Processing provides credit card and debit card processing services, and solutions that include terminals, virtual terminals, e-commerce, mobile, and point-of-sale, customized to fit any need. Banks, associations, and software partners depend on us to strengthen their reputations and relationships with their customers by providing remarkable service paired with ultimate flexibility and pricing. Merchants depend on us to make accepting credit cards and debit cards convenient, safe & affordable. BASYS was founded in 2002 on one philosophy: to take care of our merchants, partners, and employees so they never want to leave. We are dedicated to working one-on-one with our customers to design the perfect solution. BASYS is Personalized Payment Processing.
Learn more at basyspro.com, and connect with us online at: